Brown vs. White Eggs

When I shop for eggs, I always wondered what the difference between brown eggs and white eggs was.

This time I remembered to Google it when I came home and stumbled upon across a cool blog called The Daily Apple with an explanation to my question. If want the quick answer, there is no difference between white and brown eggs; no freshness, nutritional, or taste advantages. Brown eggs just happen to come from brown coloured hens and white eggs from white coloured hens (pretty obvious when I think about it).

The blog also had some interesting facts/answers about random topics (e.g. how bananas ripen, where birds go to die, etc). The posts have sources at the bottom and seem to be legit; I cross-referenced the egg question and the blog's explanation was valid, but I cannot personally attest to the other topics.

The Internet is good for the curious...

CLARIFICATION:

The colour of egg depends on the skin colour of the hen, not necessarily the feathers. Here's a better explanation from the Daily Apple:

"While you can't necessarily predict the color of the eggshell by the color of the feathers, there is an connection in the color of the earlobes. Hens with white earlobes lay white eggs. Hens with red earlobes lay brown eggs."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Gobi :)

How's it going?

Can you guess who this is? I'll give you a hint, I'm awesome and my name starts with A but it's not Aman.

Popular posts from this blog

Design + Nature: ARC's International Wildlife Crossing Infrastructure Design Competition